Thursday, March 27, 2008

More Fun Than a Barrel of Monkeys

So, yesterday as part of the Yarn Market News Conference, most of the attending LYS owners got on a bus for a tour of Lorna's Laces and a yarn shop crawl. We were the first stop. What fun!

Karin Strom, the editor of YMN has told me to expect about 50 people. I was a little anxious about fitting everyone in, but hey, we're all good friends, right?

Keep in mind that Lorna's Laces is run out of a 2400 square foot space. That may seem luxuriously large until you think about everything that has to fit inside that room. It's our warehouse, production facility, offices, creative department, shipping and receiving. You name it, we do it all right here.

It was a really great bunch of people. I gave them a rundown of all the different yarns we dye here and then gave a dye demonstration. My only regret is that we didn't have more time.

It's kind of funny, I gave a presentation to the same group on Tuesday morning at the conference itself. I practiced and practiced ahead of time and was still nervous. I walked away afterward feeling as though I did a respectable job, but that was about all. I certainly didn't shine.

Then, twenty-four hours later, on my own turf, I was completely at ease. I felt like everything went very well and that if there had been more time we could have gone on forever.

I think there were probably two factors at work. First, I had home field advantage. And, second, it was a much less formal setting. It's interesting how very small things can make such a big difference, isn't it?

No comments: