Thursday, August 21, 2008

An unexpected trip

I just returned from an unexpected trip to visit my mother. She's ninety years old and the past year hasn't gone as smoothly as I would have liked. It's easy to fuss, but I'm trying to remember that she's ninety and my family is lucky that she's still with us. Too many people have plenty more to complain about than I do.

So, back to Toronto. I got to hang out at possibly the most famous Knit-Night in the world, the one at Lettuce Knit. I showed up unannounced and everyone was incredibly nice to me. Several were even knitting with Lorna's Laces!

This is a shot of Denny (sp) and Rachel. Denny was minding the shop that evening and couldn't have been more welcoming. She provided me with a nice cold "iced tea" and introduced me all around. She's the one on the left.

On the right is Rachel. She very patiently explained the intricacies of cell phone coverage and why my troubles using my phone on the trip probably had less to do with the fact that I was trying to make an international call and more with where the towers were and such. Not once did she call me a moron. At least not out loud or within my earshot. That my friend, is a kind soul.

I mentioned earlier that Amy and I spent time over dinner looking at possible colorways her upcoming Knitty color. There were a couple that didn't make the cut, so we had raffles.

Effie one the first one. She is one lucky raffler....she won when Franklin was there in June on WWKIP day too. She's a new knitter, so I thought it was pretty nice. She promised me that she's going to learn to knit socks next.








The other winner was Molly. She's in the center, in purple.













I met lots of other wonderful people and have since lost the paper where I wrote down their names. It's not because I don't care, it's because my bag is a big black hole and got cleaned out on the fly when I had to leave town the other day in a hurry.

The next day we rented a car and headed to Niagara Falls. I had never been before and my husband hadn't been since he was a kid. It was one of those perfect summer days. Sunny skies with just the right amount of white, puffy clouds.

We got to the falls just after noon and it was spectacular. We spent some time just wandering around the grounds.

We didn't stay long enough to go on one of the boat trips because we heard there were wineries to visit. So we hopped back in the car and took the scenic route back to the city. We picked up a couple of bottles of great vino along the way.

No comments: