Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Brrrrrr

When I walked in the door to Lorna's Laces on Monday, there was the distinct smell of gas. I tried to ignore it. Then the rest of the crew started filtering in saying things like "I smell gas, do you smell gas?" or "Whoa! I smell gas" or "Phew, it stinks in here". Obviously, ignoring the smell wasn't making it go away.

I got on the phone with the landlord and he came right over. Lucky for us, there are a couple of workmen in the building this week and they were able to check it out immediately. Not so lucky for us, they couldn't find anything wrong. They told me that they had turned off the gas to install a heater in the space next door and that it's not unusual to smell gas right after it gets turned back on. It made sense. Who was I to doubt them?

We opened windows and doors to let the fresh air in. It still smelled. So the landlord called the gas company. They promptly turned off the gas to the entire building and left. They told him to call back once we got the leak fixed.

Apparently the person who can find and and fix a gas leak is a plumber. Locating an available plumber is not so easy. They finally came this morning and found a leak at the do-hickey that connects a couple of pipes right outside my office. Thank goodness we figured that out! After three days of 55 degrees,rain and no heat, it's getting kinda chilly in here.

Now it's just a waiting game. How long do you think it will take until the gas company returns and turns us back on?

No comments: