Monday, July 20, 2009

Lacy Summer Socks

A few weeks ago, we started a Ravelry KAL for our Lacy Summer Socks pattern. Everyone else around here finished it up awhile back, but it took me a bit longer. Better late than never, right?

I like this pattern for a couple of reasons. First, since it's a shorty-sock, most folks can get a pair out of a single skein of our Shepherd Sock yarn. What is it about one skein projects that makes me feel so good? Even if it's a 1250 yard skein of Helen's Lace, I always get a kick out of one-skeiners.

Another thing I like about this project is instant gratification. (Probably related to the one skein thing, huh?) I made the entire second sock yesterday afternoon and evening while I was relaxing on the couch. I even took time out from the knitting to go on a long walk with the dog and get coffee and still finished with plenty of time to need to pretend to be too busy to help with the dishes.

I also love the fact that it is lace, but not the kind of lace that requires big charts and lots of concentration and counting. Just a YO here and PSSO there and voila!

The last thing I loved was my color choice, Firefly. Firefly always brings a smile to my face. It doesn't take itself too seriously and brings back so many great childhood memories.

As kids, we spent countless summer nights catching lightning bugs and putting them in mayo jars that had holes punched in the lid. My folks used to let us run around with glass jars back then. I don't remember specifics, but I'm sure there was at least one trip to the emergency room to stitch up a kid who fell down with one of those jars.

I grew up calling them lightning bugs but Firefly seemed like a better name for the colorway. I wonder which is more popular?

These socks are heading out to one of my Pay It Forward winners. I haven't decided quite who yet.......

7 comments:

Trillian42 said...

They're lovely!

I still call them lightning bugs, but the name "Firefly" makes me happy for entirely different reasons. (Yes, I'm a geek, and I loved the show)

CathyR said...

Your socks are so pretty. Is the pattern still available anywhere? I'd love to make a pair.

Thanks.

JelliDonut said...

Really pretty! I need to make more short socks.

Anonymous said...

i used "Aqua" . my daughter wore them while she delivered my Grand Daughter last week.

marie in florida

Allyson said...

How cute are those! I love how delicate they look with the lace pattern. Very sweet.

Vicky said...

As a child I remember hot summer nights and sitting in the fireescapes and watching the lightning bugs. One of the things we don't have here in CA...

I love your socks, the color choice is lovely also. What is the pattern is it still available?

Marti in Michigan said...

How can I get this pattern? I love Lorna's Laces yarn, and I have a singlet color. This would be perfect.