Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Voila!

Rock Island is finally off my needles and firmly established as an FO! This project took a little longer than I'd imagined it would. But given that it was my first project using lace weight yarn, I'm pleased as punch.

















One of the more complicated features of this pattern is that it is true lace or knitted lace. That means every row is lace stitches. If you get a little breather and have every other row be plain knit or purl, that is called lace knitting.(I'm pretty sure I got this distinction right. Feel free to correct me.) I feel even more accomplished because this was knitted lace.
















This shawl is already wrapped up and waiting to go to its new home. Brenda works across the hall from Lorna's Laces and one afternoon a couple of months ago, she came over and saw Jared's picture of Rock Island open on my computer. She was so enchanted by it that she said she wanted to learn to knit and that this was where she wanted to start. It broke my heart to have to tell her no. But this isn't the project for a newbie.

















She's been helping me muddle through a few things in Quickbooks lately. I think she'll be happy with her "payment".

8 comments:

DebraEmanon said...

Beautiful, congrats on an awesome job.

CraftyCarole said...

absolutely gorgeous...I would never find the courage to be so brave!
Congrats

Unknown said...

This is LOVELY!

Jenny said...

what a gorgeous shawl! it looks like hard work so well done

Stefanie said...

A total work of art and a phenomenal gift!

AdrieneJ said...

Wowee, beautiful! I have this queued to work on sometime, but I haven't even read through the pattern yet (I'm a pre-knit pattern reader). It's good to know that I'll need full concentration for this one!

Michelle said...

thank you for this! I feel the urge to pick mine up again!!!

What a beautiful shawl! It looks amazing

JelliDonut said...

Very nice payment indeed!