Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Gretel's Mittens

These lovelies are in the new issue of Interweave Knits. It's online now and paper copies will hit news stands on August 7th. They were designed Allison Haas. They're knit from our Shepherd Worsted and only take one skein! 


There are a couple of things that I particularly like about them. First, the bobbles remind me of the buttons you might find on a pair of vintage gloves. Gentleman's Frippery is on my mind these days and I'm sure it has something to do with that. I know people seem to either love or hate bobbles. I stand firmly in the love camp.

I'm also digging the squared-off nature of the finger part of the mitten. (I can't for the life of me think of what that is called right now.On socks it would be the toe and on gloves it would be the fingers. It's obviously not the cuff. Top? Dunno.)  I think it sings well with the other angles in the basketweave-y pattern on the tops.

If you peek at the thumb, you can see it is in the same rib as the cuff. Looks like a twisted rib from here and that's always been a favorite of mine. I've noticed that Cookie A seems to like them too. Many of her socks are ribbed with a twisted stitch.

No comments: