Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Evolution of a Custom Color

Did you ever wonder how we create custom colors? I thought you might think it was fun to peek behind the curtain and show you how it works sometimes.

Not long ago we got a call from Stefanie Japel. She had some ideas for custom colors for a series she's doing with Craftsy. We talked a little about what's important in her life and what kinds of things inspire her. Well, it doesn't come as much of a surprise to find out that her two daughters, Mazie and Olive, are the center of her universe.

She sent over a bunch of pictures that made her heart sing when she thought of her girls. The first one has to do with their dancing. She pointed out their darling dresses as well as those shoes. I love those shoes.


Next, we play around in the dye pots. We take cryptic notes and send samples off.


Decisions are made.


Yarn is dyed.


Then we start over again. This time keeping all that beautiful red hair in mind. (My New Zealand friend calls her redheads "gingers". Isn't that swell?


Cryptic notes.

Decision time.

Yarn is dyed.

One last time. Fun photo.


Cryptic notes.

Decision made.


Yarn dyed.

In case you're wondering how these look all knit up, Stef created a simple cowl pattern for you. It's written in several sizes so you can make one for your little angel too!


That's the Tresses colorway. Here's a quick snap of the others.


I'm trying to decide if I like Ballet or Play Time better. I think I'm leaning towards Ballet. What do you think?

5 comments:

Bre said...

Being a ginger, I have to go with Tresses.

Just a Girl In the World said...

It's hard to decide which one I like best. They are all lovely!

roxie said...

Ballet. O, ballet for sure! WANT!!

Lauraline said...

Oh, I love playtime! They're all nice of course.

Anonymous said...

Ballet, definitely Ballet