Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tenuous Connections

I got news last week that a woman named Meghan Galbraith died. I had just reached my seat and was settling in at the theatre when I got the text. I was able to get some of the details before the curtain went up but the first act was a bit of a blur.

I was surprised the news hit me as hard as it did. You see, Meghan and I weren't what I'd describe as friends. We'd never stayed up late laughing over a bottle of wine. We never went out to dinner or took a walk. We weren't "friends" on Facebook. I didn't even know her last name until she was gone.

Meghan worked at the coffee shop right up the street from the studio for the first few years that I owned Lorna's Laces. She was the dynamo that made the shop tick. She probably moved on sometime in 2006 or 2007, so it had been a  long time since I'd seen her.

I'm sure part of my reaction is because I saw her every day for several years. Just for a few minutes, but almost every day. We said hello and sometimes shared a little something about our lives.

In the very early days of Lorna's Laces, I worked ridiculous hours. Fifteen hours days were pretty common. Seven day work weeks too. I often strolled up the street in the late afternoon or early evening for a little pick me up. Looking back, I realize sometimes it was as much for the smile as the coffee. Meghan was that person. The one who brought a little sunshine into your life just by being Meghan.


This death is tragic. Thirty-five year old women should be making music and living life in the largest possible way.

My takeaway from this is to remember that you might not realize the impact you can have on someone's life. Small interactions can touch hearts in big ways.

1 comment:

yardsailor said...

What a nice thing to do, I imagine she would be pleased she had touched your life. RIP Meagan