Thursday, September 11, 2008

New Color Commentary!!!



It here, it's here!!

OK, actually it's on its way to a yarn store near you.* We got the green-light from Amy Singer from knitty.com on Tuesday and have spent the past two days dyeing Amy's Vintage Office.

When Amy and I started discussing making a colorway for her we thought about what direction we wanted to go. Our initial inclination was to pull our inspiration from the knitty.com website. But, the more we talked about it, the more we realized there was something better out there for this project. Something more specific to Amy. The person who writes and blogs. After all, this is Color Commentary.

As time went on, we found out that we share a love of old metal office furniture and equipment. Who knew? There's something very special about old typewriters, desks and file cabinets.







When I close my eyes, I can imagine a different era. Simpler times when women wore dresses and men wore hats to work every day.

So, these are the photos we started with. Lots of greys and muted tones. Early prototypes were close, but we knew they weren't quite right. The frustrating thing was that it wasn't clear what exactly it was the color needed. Then the Marvelous Miss Amy sent this along:








Mystery solved! I was off to the dye pots and Amy's Vintage Office was born.

Hope you like it as much as we do!

*There have been lots of questions about where to buy your own Amy's Vintage Office. We have been shipping it out to LYS's since September 10. Give yours a call. If they don't have it yet, we have plenty here ready to ship to them.

15 comments:

penny said...

it's beautiful and i look forward to seeing the amy-friendly option and some knitted swatches! (hint) :)

greenapples said...

It's absolutely gorgeous - I love it! Can't wait to see what it looks like knit up!

Flossie in Stitches said...

STUNNING! I'd like some sock yarn that colour.

Anonymous said...

it's gorgeous! when and where can I get it?

Amanda E said...

I love this colorway! I would love to order it when it's available :)

Redford Phyl said...

I've put myself on a yarn diet, but I will go off to order this. The colors are marvelous!

Anonymous said...

I am trying to not shop, but it is soooooo beautiful! Good job.

Marl said...

MMmmmm....Just picked up some Old Rose in this yarn on Friday for my scrawl but I would love to do a 2nd one in these colors. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I'm anxious to buy for a pair of socks. I love your yarn.....I just purchased yor September yarn Gone Fishing and my next purchase will be this once it is available. When will that be????

Backyard Notes said...

This is lovely. I would welcome an Amy-friendly version for my sheepless self!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Love it! Love it! It'll come to a good home when I buy it.

Anonymous said...

Love love love!

Chelsea said...

Oh, wow! I love this colorway. Sooooo pretty! :)

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see an Amy-friendly version as well. Beautiful, beautiful yarn!

Zonda said...

Just wanted to let you know I've received mine in Sport and Worsted! Thanks for creating this colorway! Love it! (also have the other 2 color commentaries as well :)