Friday, October 30, 2009

Breaking Up is Hard to Do

For the first time in Lorna's Laces history, we are discontinuing a yarn. Actually two yarns, Swirl DK and Swirl Chunky. The photo you see here is of the Swirl DK. If you start at 12 o'clock, the colorways are Maple Grove, Camouflage, Vera, Midway and Desert Flower.

I have to say that in many respects, this breaks my heart. It was the first yarn that I brought out as the owner of Lorna's Laces. I love this yarn. I think it is beautiful. We had so many fantastic evenings snuggling in front of the fireplace. But, it not the right thing for either of us anymore so we've decided to move on. It was a mutual decision and we're going to remain friends.

At the risk of letting my geeky side show, I'm going to give you all a little chemistry lesson today. If you take a look at the yarn closely, you will see that there are three plies. One is lighter than the other two. The darker plies are spun from superwash merino. The lighter ply is spun from a blend of silk and regular merino. The process that makes a yarn superwash changes the pH of the fiber and the dye behaves differently depending on the acidity of the fiber. That's why you see the barberpole effect. Kinda like magic.

Keep an eye out for it at your favorite LYS or online retailer. There will lots of it available at fantastic prices.

5 comments:

Just a Girl In the World said...

Oh! That's so sad! One of my favorite pairs of socks is made from the DK Swirl. It's like walking on a cloud.

Glad to hear the parting is mutual.

Anonymous said...

Glad it was mutual. Thank you for the chemistry lesson!

Diane Soucy said...

I am very sad...


Diane

Anonymous said...

I made a simple garter stitch scarf a couple of years ago & it looks so beautiful because of the chunky swirl yarn. It goes with just about any color of coat because of all the different colors that are in it. Sniff, sniff. . . sad to see it go.

Jacqueline Korteland Boller said...

Are you serious? I just discovered the Swirl Chunky and just love it!! Guess I better buy more while I can!