Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Free to a Good Home

Yesterday on Twitter and Facebook, I posted a picture of a skein of yarn that had gotten tangled beyond belief. Part of the reason I decided to share it was that because we've all been there. A perfectly reasonable skein of yarn gets its knickers all bunched up and decides to become the skein of ill repute. Yesterday's version of disgraceful woolliness was Bullfrogs and Butterflies in 25ns Mint.













I'm pretty sure that my skein of yarn was in cahoots with Stefanie Japel's yarn, because she'd posted something earlier in the week about yarn getting tangled up when the washing machine bag came undone.

Then earlier today, Jennie the Potter mentioned that she was sorting bubble wrap. She's on her way to Madison, WI for their big annual event this weekend and was packing up her wares. So, I got to thinking.... Skeins generally come to us tied in three different places and we remove two of the ties so what you get looks neat and tidy. We end up with piles of those ties.















I don't think there's a single one of us who doesn't have at least one pillow stuffed with yarn bits and bobs. I routinely use it as packing material instead of bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether someone else can use it? I don't know that it would be reliable enough for something like Jennie's pots. Would it be practical to ship it for someone else to use as packaging material? Does anyone have any ideas? We'd be happy to start collecting it for someone and it's free to a good home.

10 comments:

DulcieAnne said...

Put it in a loose mesh bag and hang it out side - now is great timing. Birds will pull the strings out and use them to make their nests. Then you will see your wonderful yarn woven into warm, soft comfortable nests in trees around your home.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I am the type of person who will take the time to untangle a mess like that. I just can't bear to throw away yarn! Even if I have to cut it in some places, I'll still untangle it. I don't have any pillow case stuffed with yarn bits ;)

Anonymous said...

what happens is it is re-carded and re-spun? The clippings from sari silk is redone. Could these fibers be used for something like that?

marianne said...

yes! I would give this a good home!

Sheri Karobonik said...

I take my yarn,fibre and fabric trimmings and mix them with poly fill and use them to stuff pillows for dogs. I give them to my son's aide and his dogs just covet these pillows and don't rip them up like they do with the store bought ones.
If you want to send some my way I will post pictures.

Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...

That bird idea is an excellent one. Bonus if it's hung outside the window of a nursing home or assisted living facility.

susan said...

We collect all of our tangled yarn and scraps and give it to the the kids at Oak Park School for mentally and physically challenged kids. They in turn put the scraps to good use by decorating our shops bags. It's a way of creating real world jobs for the kids and a great help to us!! Everyones's a winner and we can always use more!!!

gerri said...

i'd love to take it off your hands. and i live pretty close to lorna's laces, so i could come pick it up!

Knit-Chat said...

I would untangle all that yarn and use the bits and pieces with it to make socks.