Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Veggies!!


For the last several years, we've belonged to a CSA or Community Supported Agriculture farm. Each year, we buy a share of the farm's harvest and every week we get a 3/4 bushel box of organic vegetables. The farm we belong to, Angelic Organics, is both organic and biodynamic.

Biodynamic farming is a system developed by Rudolph Steiner. You may recognize his name from the Waldorf educational system. Biodynamics uses nine different preparations that are added to the compost or sprayed on the soil or plants to enhance biological activity in a certain way. I don't know all the specifics, I just know that I love getting my box every week! It feels right to eat food that is good for me and good for the environment.

Getting "the box" has been a learning experience. Because the farmers decide what crops to plant and Mother Nature decides how the weather will treat those crops, I have a little less control over what we eat every week. Instead of going to the grocery store or farmer's market and choosing, the box arrives and I work with what's inside. Ultimately, this has expanded my cooking repertoire because I've had to learn what to do with beets and fennel and lemon balm and lots of other stuff I'd never taken the time to become friends with. Who knew you could make a yummy chocolate cake with beets?!

In other news around here, we have been working on the new colors that we'll be launching at TNNA in January! It's always such a treat to play around and see what we come up with. Mind you, there are lots of mistakes along the way, but it's incredibly gratifying when it all comes together.

No comments: