Monday, September 8, 2008

Moving Day

We have some interesting traditions here in Chicago.

*At Wrigley Field, if you catch a home run ball hit by a player from an opposing team, you throw it back onto the field.

*We are very specific about how to dress a hot dog. They are served on poppy seed buns with mustard, onion, sweet pickle relish (usually neon green), a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, sport peppers, and a dash of celery salt. Never ketchup.

*Leases on apartments start on either May 1 or October 1. No one seems to know why, but it's been this way for as long as anyone I know can remember. Maybe the first Mayor Daley had something to do with it.

Amanda will be among those packing their worldly possessions and heading for new digs. It's her very first apartment without a roommate. She's so excited about the new place that she picked up her knitting needles after a bit of a hiatus. I think the last thing she knit was a blanket for her nephew when he was born.

She's been steadily working on a Log Cabin Blanket ever since she made the decision to move and it's looking really pretty.













I like the flexibility of this pattern. You can make it as large or small as you like. You can organize all the colors ahead of time and throw caution to the wind and decide as you go along. I love the IDEA of choosing as you go along but I think my Type-A nature would get the best of me and I would have it planned out within an inch of it's life. I've been working on letting go a little more, but it's hard!

*Update 9/10/08. Amanda decided to make her Log Cabin a floor pillow. What a great idea!

No comments: