Thursday, May 14, 2009

WendyKnits Sunrise

I've been away from the blog for longer than I'd like. I hope you'll agree that this was a pretty good reason.

Not, too long ago I contacted Wendy Johnson of WendyKnits and Socks from the Toe Up fame and asked her if she'd consider working with us on a Color Commentary colorway. Well, not only is girl amazingly talented, she's amazingly gracious as well.

Over the course of the last few weeks, we've emailed stories and pictures back and forth. We EVEN talked on the telephone! It was so nice to hear her voice. These days, we often know what people look like and a quite a bit about their personality from their web presence long before we ever actually speak to them.

But, I digress. Here's the WendyKnits Sunrise story, brought to you by Wendy herself:

As my buddies on Plurk know, I get to my office insanely early every day — by 6:00 a.m. This is not because I’m a morning person (not by any stretch of the imagination) but to lessen commuting issues and stress.

I’m the first person to arrive at my office so it’s nice and quiet. Because my office has a wall o’ windows that faces east, I will often take a photo of the sunrise. I’ll often post these photos on Plurk, and then place them in my Flickr group of sunrise photos, here. My favorite sunrises are the dramatic ones, like this:















A few months ago, Beth at Lorna’s Laces contacted me to see if I’d like to develop a “Color Commentary” yarn with them. Would I? Heck, yes!

She asked me for my thoughts on what I’d like for a WendyKnits colorway. Rather than go with my usual greens and browns, I thought “wouldn’t it be great to have a sunrise colorway?”

Several months and some spectacular dyeing later, Lorna’s Laces came up with this:













WendyKnits Sunrise!

In celebration of this gorgeous yarn, I worked up a simple sock pattern that showcases it to its best advantage.



















Here's a close-up:












I love the way the pattern makes the color sing. It's available for free on her website. And it's really simple. I like simple patterns. I have a few that I've made so many times that I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. I have a feeling this may be the next one that fits that description.

We did good work together, don't you think?

Thanks Wendy!

3 comments:

Robin said...

OMG - I love the color and the pattern - gotta go to a store and get it!

Liz said...

I love Wendy's latest Socks from the Toe Up - fabulous book! - and now this gorgeous new Lorna's colorway! Great combo of favorites!
Definitely on my "have to have" list!

Christine said...

I saw this yarn in person at my friend's house over the weekend and I LOVE it!!!! So beautiful!!! The pictures just don't do it justice....it is SO gorgeous. I can't wait to get some for my collection! :-)