Friday, July 10, 2009

The Pot at the End of the Rainbow

It's been one of those weeks around here. Some of it is my fault, some of it is "our" fault, some of it is Microsoft's fault and some of the blame belongs to the universe.

The first part of the week is all my fault. I've been merrily going about my business secure in the thought that Sock Summit is a month away. I kept thinking that a month is long time, nothing to worry about. Then the big lightbulb went on....the yarn has to out of here in time to get to people so they have time to organize it and get it shipped.

That means we have to have it ready yesterday. Yikes! I began looking under the furniture to find the extra hours I'm going to need to get it all done. So far I've looked under my desk, under the dye tables, behind a box of Shepherd Sock and up in the loft. No luck. I'm going to look between the couch cushions when I get home. If anyone has seen the time I've lost, let me know and I will come get it directly.

Then there was phone incident. The phones were working when I got in yesterday, but by 10 AM, we weren't getting dial tone. The phone company wouldn't be able to get a tech here for at least 24 hours. No phone? That's the kind of thing that sends me into a tailspin. We were able to do a work around and have our calls forwarded, but I still didn't like it.

For some reason I decided to double check to make sure that we hadn't missed anything before we paid for a tech visit. I went around to all the phones to make sure there wasn't anything I could do to fix the problem. Hmmmm, do you think the fact that one of them was unplugged might make a difference? Thank goodness we figured it out before the tech came and thought we were all a bunch of morons.

So, I'm thinking that life is back on an even keel. I know there's much to be done, but it's good to be busy. Then I came in today to find that the printer is not working. Apparently Microsoft did one of their updates overnight and something they did upset the printer. It was on strike and not going to work today.

That tailspin I mentioned earlier came back and deposited itself squarely in my lap. I don't know why, but when technology isn't working, I get really agitated. I should probably learn more about the inner workings of it, knowledge is power and all, but frankly, I'm not that interested. So instead, I got an upset stomach and paced around alot until it was fixed. I'm lucky enough to have people around here that know how to make things work again. And are smart enough to steer clear of me when I melt down.

Somehow Kristi Porter must have known that I was having a tough day. Look what came in my email about an hour ago:

A testimonial for Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted.... Eight year old Ella says of the new hat I crocheted (crocheted! I have a new skill!) "I usually always do not like to wear hats because they itch me, but this one is really fashionable and not itchy at all." She wore it all day yesterday and again today. (Also featured the one fingerless glove in unknowing homage to Michael Jackson...)

All is right in my world now. Just in time for the weekend!

No comments: