Monday, November 30, 2009

Snowflakes

Now that Thanksgiving is behind us, I'm ready for the snow! I'm not sure why but I don't think it should snow before then. Probably because I look at Thanksgiving as an autumnal harvest festival, not a celebration of winter. The Canadians may have it right by celebrating in October.

But now it's time to get into the holiday spirit. For some people it's making cookies, for others it's trimming the tree, still others shop til they drop. Me? I need the white stuff to really feel the holiday love.

But just in case mother nature isn't cooperating, I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve. Jackie E-S over at HeartStrings has come up with a pattern called Lacyflakes that has a bunch of different knitted snowflakes. They range in size from 6.5 to 8 inches and can be made with lace weight or fingering yarn. I can think of all kinds of applications for these guys....ornaments, coasters, you could even string several together and make a runner for the dining room table.

And while I think that icy blues and whites or classic red and green would be pretty, I don't see any reason why you couldn't mix things up. What about tropical colors for our friends who live in year-round warm weather? Or beautiful earth tones to complement the roaring fire? Or just go wacky with crazy brights for no other reason than it would be fun?

3 comments:

Allyson said...

Those are beautiful! I love the idea of snowflake coasters. Though, I would have to kill the person who spilled on them :)

Jackie E-S said...

Thanks for writing about Lacyflakes on your blog. I'm with you that until Thanksgiving is past, I can't start thinking about snow. I'm actually a Chicago gal, but transplanted to the south. And these Lacyflakes are probably the only "snowflakes in the south" that I will see, lol. Great idea about the coasters. That's a good excuse to knit some more of these for quick knit gifts. :)

ES said...

Love the idea of a snowflake runner. Think I can fninish by the 24th??? 2010 maybe.