Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Old Home Week

Whenever I call my mother, she asks me what I've been doing lately for fun. It makes me realize how much of my life is pretty darn routine. I get up in the morning, head out for a run, spend the day at the studio, home for dinner and then to bed. Then I get up and do it all over again. Ah, the glam life of a hand dyer!

This week is shaping up to be way more fun than usual. First, I ran into two old friends on my walk home from work last night. First was Heidi. It turns out that she lives right around the corner from Lorna's Laces. I'd heard she lived nearby, but I wasn't sure exactly where. Now I know. She's practicing acupuncture these days. Herbal medicine too.

Then about a mile further down the way, I ran into Danny. I know him from the dog park in our old neighborhood. He recently got a job at a hair salon not far from home. When I think about it, it's pretty amazing how many people in my web of friends and acquaintances I can trace back to a dog park at some point in my life.

Tonight, I get to see Amy from Italy. She's married to a wonderful Italian man who swept her off her feet about 12 years ago. They spent a few years in NY and now live in a divine apartment overlooking the duomo in Lake Como. I'll have to find out how far they are from George Clooney's place. As charmed as her life is, I'll bet she's met him and has cocktails with him whenever he's in town.

Last, but not least, I'll get a chance to catch up with a whole bunch of folks from my days selling college textbooks. (That was the job I had before heading into this crazypants yarn world.) The company I used to work for is having its national sales meeting downtown and they always have a big cocktail reception. It will be fun to see old colleagues. It will be even more fun to see their faces when I tell them what I've been up to. I've finally learned that it's better to say "I have a yarn company" than "I have a hand dyed yarn company". Somehow the hand dyed part always throws folks for a loop.

No comments: