Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What's That Smell?

It's kind of funny how often things just fall into place and the universe ends up pointing the way for me. Way back when I decided to do Pay It Forward, I was trying to think of things that I could do that would be something besides sending yarn or knitted items.

It was early May and I was getting ready to plant our garden for year. I use the term garden very loosely. We live in a condo, so we're pretty limited. We have window boxes in the gangway where I normally plant herbs and some more on our little deck where we have flowers.

Instead of my usual basil and mint, I decided it might be nice to have some new things. The lavender at the garden center looked beautiful and I've always liked the way it smells. So we picked up a few seedlings and they went in next to the mint.















I'd been thinking that a sachet might be fun. Later that week, I got a Knitting Daily email highlighting Eunny Jang's Lacy Sachet. Kismet! That pretty much sealed the deal. Now I just needed to wait for nature to run it's course so I had enough lavender to fill them. A couple of weeks ago, I harvested it and left it to dry.

Over the weekend, I created these:














They are knit from some yarn I picked up at Sock Summit. It's naturally dyed by Stevanie Pico and the colorway is Neon Bible. I'd originally planned to use the yarn for the Tempest I've been blathering about lately, but didn't like the way it looked when I swatched it.

The lining is plain fabric that has been sitting in a drawer for far longer than I care to admit. The ribbon was some I had in my ribbon box. So, I was able to make these without going out and buying too many of the components. That's always nice.

One is going to a Pay It Forward person and the other to my mother. Mom's vision and hearing aren't very good, but she gets real joy from smelly things. I often send highly scented flowers to her so I think she'll like the sachet.

No comments: