Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Lace Knitting: Basics and Beyond

Hi friends! Amanda here.

There are two sides to every coin as they say. In this case the coin is covered in a gorgeous combinations of YOs and K2togs.

I love lace. I mean really LOVE it! My favorite knit piece is my Rock Island Shawl made with Helen's Lace in Ashburn. I know, I know, a high contrast multi in a complicated lace pattern? It really does work I promise. I get compliments every time I wear it out. Generally this is followed with big eyes and "Did you make it?!". "No, I did not." is always my response. It is sad to admit but I did not make it. A wonderful knitter named "sleep2dreamher" on Ravelry made it for me.

That, my friends, is the other side of the coin. I am very very bad at lace. I try and I try and I just can't make it work...even the simplest patterns. I have to admit I am a stockinette sock kind of girl. I have lace fears. Shameful lace fears.

Enter stage left, Eunny Jang.



You guys know Eunny Jang right? Blogger, turned editor of Interweave Knits, turned now instructor at Craftsy. She is also a really amazing cook but that is sort of unrelated I guess. For those who don't know Craftsy you should really check it out. You can take classes on ANYTHING! Knitting and crochet of course but also sewing, baking, cooking, photography, fine arts, jewelry making, spinning, weaving...even cake decorating. All from the comfort of your own laptop, desktop or tablet. It is pretty cool.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Lace.



Eunny recently launched an amazing 9 lesson lace tutorial. This puppy covers it all. From casting on to binding off and all the chart reading and stitches in between. She even cover things like how to find and fix mistakes and how to insert lace patterns into other designs. And for the tiny bit of dork in all of us there is even a bit on the actual structure of the stitches of lace. Eunny is leaving no lace covered stone unturned here and doing it all using our gorgeous yarns of course.



So far over 500 students have enrolled in that class and with this link you can too. Heck you will even receive 25% off! Personally I think overcoming my lace fears is worth $29.99.


And we're finished...get it...finished. ;-)

No comments: