Monday, November 17, 2008

The luckiest pup in the world

I've always said that in my next life, I want to be a dog. Specifically, I want to be a dog that lives with one of my friends or any member of my family.

My mom was crazy for the dogs. When I was growing up, she used to make extra food so that the dog could have some too. I'm not talking leftovers, I'm talking about her making an extra hamburger or chicken breast for the dog. Making gravy from scratch so she wouldn't have to eat dry kibble.

One night when I was about sixteen I about lost my hand when I reached for the last burger. I was told in no uncertain terms that it was for Nikki. If I was still hungry, there was plenty of peanut butter.

My friends David and Tim have been on the hunt for a Welsh Terrier puppy to replace one they lost just over a year ago. This vision of loveliness is Astrid Ann. I'm not sure whether even the Obama dog will be getting more attention than this one.

They have been planning for her arrival for months. They have driven over to Michigan three times to visit her and see how she's doing. Choosing paint colors for her room. In addition to the pet store, they been getting supplies at Burberry and American Girl Place. Who knew stores like that had stuff for dogs?

I'm certainly not above being an enabler at the spoiling game. I believe that every well-dressed dog needs bit of knitwear in her wardrobe. So, this weekend I knit up this cute little sweater with a skull and crossbones on it.

It's going to be far too big for her for awhile, but every girl should have a little something in the drawer she hasn't worn yet that will make her feel extra-pretty when the time comes.

After all, Astrid has a long road ahead of her what with all the potty training and the sit/stay business that is sure to be just around the corner.

1 comment:

Suna Kendall said...

Aw, Astrid is such a cute name for a dog. She looks precious, and I know she will have a fun life! And she will look chic in her pirate gear!