Monday, November 24, 2008

New Beginnings

So, I've been happily knitting along on my February Lady. I like this pattern alot. The top is garter stitch and kind of boring but I don't really mind. It lets me watch TV and think about what to make for dinner and other pressing matters of the day.

I've been kind of obsessed with it. Instead of rolling over for an extra hour of sleep, I got up on Saturday morning to knit a few rows. I've been staying up a little too late for the past week or so too. I have to admit that things around the house have taken a back seat to the knitting.

Last night I got to the point where you separate for the sleeves and start the lace part. I decided to try it on to see how things are going. It was all bad news and the whole thing had to be frogged.

I'd kind of known things weren't right but because of the construction of the sweater I tried to ignore the fact that the darn thing looked too small. I tried to talk myself into thinking that it would be OK. That a medium would be just fine. That my gauge was a tiny bit looser than the pattern called for and that would take care of any issues. That even if I couldn't bend time, I could bend space.

What on earth possessed me to think it made sense to make a medium? While the chest measurement was OK, I really do need wider shoulders. I'm 6'0 tall and there's not much of me that has ever been a medium. I know that. What was I thinking?

So, I don't have enough yarn. Even worse, I can't just go grab some more from the studio because I don't know the dye lot. We dyed a bunch of Echo that day, but I just grabbed what I thought I needed without labeling it because I figured I had enough. No reason to waste a label, I reasoned, I know what yarn and color it is.

I distinctly remember telling myself that I should make a note of the dye lot, just in case. But I was far to excited about winding the yarn into balls and getting started to bother.

So now I am starting over. With a new color. Chocolate this time. We were dyeing chocolate today and I decided to switch.

1 comment:

Roadchick said...

I hate to ask, but did you write down the dye lot this time???