Monday, February 8, 2010

Because I Am Lucky

I started this blog post last week and then got stopped in my tracks by my conversation with Heidi from the insurance company. You are all very fortunate that you are not my husband. He has smiled patiently while I've told everyone I've encountered that story: friends, family, the woman at the grocery store, cab drivers, bus drivers.....

I had been getting ready to tell you how lucky I feel because I get to make a living from yarn. I don't mean that to brag. Believe me, I have mornings that I wake up and don't want to go to work, just like anyone else. But on the whole, I am incredibly grateful that this is my world.

It's a world filled with all of the best kinds of people who do nice things for no reason at all. Here are a couple of quick examples:

Way back in August, I saw Sheri from The Loopy Ewe at Sock Summit. She was selling some beautiful hand made nostepindes and darning eggs made by a guy named Phil Powell. I admired them but wasn't smart enough to grab one the instant I saw them. Sure enough, by the time I went back, they were all gone. I asked Sheri to let me know when she got more so I could buy one. Time went on and I forgot all about it.

When Sheri walked into our booth at TNNA, she had a package for me. Inside I found this gorgeous blood wood nostepinde.















In the normal course of things, customers don't give gifts to vendors. But this is yarn and with yarn all bets are off. People do things because they want to. Because it is nice.

Later that same day, Diane Soucy from Knitting Pure and Simple came by and pressed these cute Turkish slippers into my hands.















She was in a rush to get somewhere else and didn't have time to talk, but took the time to hand deliver a gift.

I am very lucky. I work in yarn.

6 comments:

Aimee said...

Love this post. Can I add that I love working with yarn bc I get to work w cool people like you. :)

those slippers are awesome, btw.

Aimee said...

Love this post. Can I add that I love working with yarn bc I get to work w cool people like you. :)

those slippers are awesome, btw.

woolwoman said...

yes I agree - most people involved in yarny things are wonderful.
Melody

monica said...

I think anyone that works with yarn is blessed. I have met some of the nicest, and most generous people in the yarn business. Very lucky indeed.

Suna Kendall said...

I am so glad you are getting to have these nice experiences. You need things like this to keep going when life takes a little dip. Your work makes people happy. That is such a fine thing!

Robin said...

We are lucky to have such lovely vendors so we can work with the yarn! Sheri and all her loopy employees are wonderful, I am a loopy groupie