Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fuzzy Wuzzy

It seems like textured yarns are steadily making their way back into our lives. Some of them are glittery, some of them are bumpy, others have eyelashes. The one that holds a place near and dear to my heart is mohair. I've tried to figure out exactly what it is about mohair that makes me swoon. At the end of the day, I think it is because I like fuzzy things. (Rimshot)













Or maybe it's because goats are just so darn cute!















Mohair has been out of the fashion limelight for awhile, but I've been thinking lately that it might be time for it to cycle back into our hearts again. I wish I could say that I have a bunch of data to back that up, but it's more of a gut feeling. This feeling could certainly be wrong, but I have to wonder if there might be something going on since we're starting to see it around more lately.

Vogue Knitting and Mohair South Africa are sponsoring a contest, The Magic of Mohair. The prizes, including a trip to South Africa, are pretty spectacular!

There are a three of our yarns that would work beautifully for this contest.

First is Heaven. Heaven is a lace weight kid mohair. It's put up in big 7 ounce, 975 yard skeins. It would be nice if you have a light weight design in mind. You could do a whole project with a single skein.












Next is Glory. It's our worsted weight mohair. It comes in 2 oz, 120 yard skeins.










Last is Grace. Grace is a loop boucle. Like Glory, it's put up in 120 yard, 2 oz skeins.













I'm pretty excited by this contest. Sure, the prizes are grand, but what I'm intrigued about is seeing where designers are going to go. The design world has changed since the last time we all had mohair on our needles and I can't wait to find out where fresh eyes and new blood is going to take things.

No comments: