Monday, August 13, 2007

Stitches Midwest

If one yarn store is a delight, how do you describe EIGHTY FIVE shops all in one place? Squeal!!!

As crazy as it sounds, I don't get to a yarn shop very often. Part of it is because I have plenty of yarn right here and part of it is that I'm just too darn busy. But I miss hanging at the LYS. You can't get that sense of community anywhere else.

As it turned out, Stitches shared the convention center with Wizard World. For those of you who don't share your life with a comicbook afficianado, it's mecca for all things fantasy, gaming, comicbook etc. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who left my husband, as happy as a clam, at the door of WW on my way to my own little mecca.

I spent many hours on the show floor over the course of the weekend. The yarns were gorgeous! I saw several things that were totally new to me. I tried not to buy too much, but I just couldn't reist picking up a gorgeous drop spindle. My spinning skills are woefully inadequate and I have this dream that pretty tools will help rectify that.

I got to say "hi" to some customers that I only get a chance to see once or twice a year. I think that's the biggest drawback to being a wholesaler. We don't have the luxury of seeing our clients every day and really getting to know them. The brief interactions at shows like this or TNNA just doesn't provide the same opportunity.

The "Dye Your Own Yarn" session was a big success! I got to meet fifty or so people and watch them create their own one-of-a-kind masterpiece. I sure hope one or two of them take the time to show me how the yarn turns out. Or even better, once it's knit up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth - I've got my dyed chennile hanging in my laundry room where I put it to dry. It turned out nice, if a bit brighter than I had pictured in my mind! I'll try to get a picture of it to you so you can see how at least one of them turned out.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with it... how many hats do you think I could get out of the skein? I'm thinking some hats for my neices might work. 3 and 4 year olds love bright colors!