Monday, November 28, 2011

Cranberry by a Nose!

The votes are all counted and cranberry sauce edged out gravy--122 to 104. I know that doesn't add up to the total number of votes, but there were a few people who didn't like either and others that weren't willing to choose.










I learned a few things from this contest. First, people absolutely prefer that gravy be home made. By their mother if at all possible. But cranberry sauce can come out of the can. Folks are mighty fond of those little ridges.

Me? I'm a big fan of Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish. It's pink and full of horseradish. I love me some horseradish. That said, we have still have leftover relish at home and the gravy is long gone.

Another thing I noticed was how often people said they only had gravy/cranberry sauce at the holidays. I grew up in a house where my mom made gravy regularly. It didn't really matter what kind of meat was on the table, there was almost always gravy to go with the mashed potatoes. I wonder if something has changed or if my house was different?

I'll bet you're wondering who won our giveaway. One kit will go to Li'l Mz Knitz Alot. The other to numbsmom. Please drop us a line at yarn@lornaslaces.net with your mailing address and we'll get your kits on their way.

Now, you'll have to go on over to Soak Wash's blog to see which pie won!

2 comments:

LQuick said...

My mother also could make gravy from any meat; broiled lamb chops, meat loaf, livers you name it. Her fried chicken gravy was to die for. Something has changed. It's called health. Boo. I realized that it had been ages since I had had gravy so on Thanksgiving I had two helpings of mashed potatoes and gravy. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Crochet Addict UK said...

I couldn't eat a roast without gravy no matter what time of the year. We have yorkshire puddings a lot so you need to fill them with gravy or they just aren't the same.